Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mom's candy II

Ok, this one is for Margie. My friend Carolee's mom. She was a dear friend to my mom, and has been a great surrogate mother to me. Love you Margie!

Here is Rita's Marshmallows!

2 envelopes of Knox gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup boiling water
2/1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
walnuts, ground approx two cups

Boil sugar in 3/4 cup water until it spins in a thread when dropped from a spoon. 250 degrees
Remove from fire, soften gelatin in cold water and add to hot syrup. Stir until dissolved. Let stand until partially cold. Add salt and vanilla. Beat until think and fluffy and cool. Pour in pan sprinkled with ground walnuts and cover top of mixture with nuts. Place in refrigerator until set. Cut into squares and roll in ground nuts.

This was my favorite, I loved the marshmallows! I could not find a photo of anything that looked close to the yummy goodness my mom made!! But I did find this photo that has marshmallow in nuts right at the front, but also has other tasty coverings, chocolate, coconut, peppermint and ?? I guess you can use your imagination! Enjoy! Tj.

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh you've made my sweet tooth spring to rabid life! I have such a hard time with that thing! Yummy! I wondered if you'd created the flier. I find your variety of styles amazing, darlin'!

David K Small, artist said...

I would really like to paint that photo. Since I can't eat sugar I could at least stare at it :-)