Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving to all


Memories of childhood Thanksgivings bring Norman Rockwell like moments flashing through my head! This Rockwell Thanksgiving so brings that feeling of family and home to me. As a child we had huge Thanksgiving feasts, my mom had 11 brothers and sisters, and I have 53 first cousins. Yes, quite a large family! Most of us lived right here in Sacramento. We were almost always together for Thanksgiving. Our home was often the gathering place. Our dining room table expanded into a very large table, it sat about 2 dozen people. Then there would be the "kids tables", one in the kitchen, one set up in a bedroom. The "bar" area was set up in the garage and there would be aunts, uncles, cousins everywhere! We don't have quite the large gathering we used to, and it is usually at my house but not this year. This year I am going home. My brother Tim lives in our childhood home, complete with the table where we spent so many Thanksgiving meals. Thaddeus, my nephew, wanted to cook this year. He is almost 13, and has aspirations to be a chef when he grows up! He has quite the feast planned for us, I feel blessed. I am thankful for many things, my beautiful family, friends, health, a job, our home. I am also thankful to live in these times where we have the technology that allows us to share and make friends with people we might never had a chance to. May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Be blessed, be well. Peace to you all. Tj.

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

TJ, I loved Joe's comment on your last entry. It is wonderful knowing that you and your family are so very much loved. I do love Norman Rockwell paintings; they always convey that warmth of family and love, don't they? Thanksgiving sounds massive at the old family home! Still and yet, your memories are so warm and I instantly can visualize them in my head. Hope you and your family have a fabulous day at your brother's home. My hat goes off to Thaddeus (I so love his name!!)!